Monday, April 12, 2010

A letter from Jacob's "host mother"

3/30/2010

Dear Brother and Sister Cooper, My name is Christine Montgomery and my husband is Kent. We are the Host family for the missionaries until April 26. Your son, Elder Cooper, is living with us, along with Elder Smith. They have been with us only 2 1/2 weeks. It is such a joy to have them in our home. Kent and I have raised 7 children (5 girls and 2 boys), but our boys are not active in the church (ages 21 and 24). We decided to help out the missionary effort by opening our home for them since our boys didn't serve missions. It has been fun getting to know Elder Cooper, all about the family, what he did for work before going on his mission, and I have especially enjoyed his piano playing. All my girls play, and since they left home I have really missed someone sitting at the piano. So I let him go through all my music anytime he wants. He seems to be getting along well with Elder Smith, and they are pretty motivated to get things done. I'm impressed at how disciplined they both are as far as getting up, what they do during the day, and being in at 9:00 p.m. each night. It was only a week ago that we got a foot of snow, and Elder Cooper walks in at 8:00 p.m. and said, "Sorry, but we're back a little early." I was just glad they weren't stuck somewhere! They were more than happy to help my husband shovel the walk and driveway, and then play a little in it. I had hot chocolate waiting for them when they finished. Also, Elder Cooper and Elder Smith have been great about cleaning up after themselves. You would never know they used my kitchen for breakfast and lunch, and on P-Day they clean their bedroom and bathroom. Either your son was taught well at home, or the mission president is strict about staying in members homes. I just feel bad they have to move out on April 26. My 19-year-old daughter is moving back home for the summer from BYU Provo, so the elders have to leave. The plan was to house the sister missionaries here with Liz for the summer, but they had to be transferred out. Anyway, I want to thank you for raising such a fine young man. He has brought such a special spirit into our home. He's doing a great job and you can be very proud of him. Thank you for your good example and for sending him out on a mission.Sincerely, Christine MontgomeryP.S. He loves our frosty cups we keep in the freezer and I let him have all the milk and Chocolate Nestle Nesquik he wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jacob Cooper and I will be serving in the Denver North mission starting September 9, 2009 until September 2011